Yesterday was a day that I wish never happened. We headed out to lunch for something to do on the Holiday before Jeremy headed out for the week. I was following him in the Jeep and we were headed north on I-15 in Draper at 123rd S. when Jeremy hit a ton of snow in our lane and spun out and then I hit the snow/slush and spun out and did a 180 and the car behind us hit our car in the front left corner. No body was hurt at all the kids thought it was pretty cool actually. We were off to the side of the road as it was but neither of our cars would go anywhere, so as soon as Incident Management came they pulled our cars so they were facing North bound again. The Highway Patrol was there in less than a minute and came and parked right behind us. Jeremy was in the Durango and he had spun out and ended up the snow bank between the highway and the off ramp up ahead of us and was fine, he ran back to us to make sure we were OK and we were. It was just the other car and ours that smashed each others front ends. So then if that's not bad enough I was sitting in the car filling out the paper work with kids still in the back seat with all there seat belts still on and Jeremy went to get his car out of the snow and go around to bring it to where we were on the highway so we could get in it to leave when it was time and BAM we got hit again. A big van did the same thing we did and slid and hit the patrol car behind us and the patrol car hit the back of our car and we hit the back of the truck that was in front of us. That hit hurt the worst. The Patrolman got hurt a little bit and thought his head was bleeding, but he wasn't, he got out and made sure we were still all OK and we were thankfully. So he got the worst of it being hit square on by the van. It was a horrible mess. And amazingly enough we all walked away 100% fine.
So here is how this all happened. We were in the second to right hand lane that can exit and go straight and we went straight, the roads were clear, wet but clear. It wasn't snowing and everything was fine but then it was as if a snow plow exited on the off ramp and left all the snow in the lane as if it ended, but that lane doesn't end it keeps on going straight and that's what we hit was the huge amount of snow right in our lane that shouldn't have been there and what else do you do but go through it and then I saw Jeremy spin out and then I saw the snow and I spun out. There were other cars that hit the snow too, but it was only the other car and ours that hit. Incident Management came pretty quick to help us but then they left for some reason and then after the second hit came there ended up being at least 10 cop cars that came to help and Incident Management came again and put up cones this time of course, I don't know why they didn't do that the first time. Anyway it was a mess, everything is working out fine so far though. We have a $300 deductible, so we are grateful for that, it's worth paying that for everything that happened. It could have been so much worse. We are just so grateful no one was hurt, except for the patrolman, but it was minor for him.
And then to top the day off and put the icing on the cake. We went and got a rental and while driving it home at 55 mph the car was just shaking like crazy. Maybe some alignment thing, but I called them as soon as we got home and then went today to trade for a car that actually worked. I need to feel a little safe after coming away from an accident like that. So we got that all worked out too.
Isn't that a great story? We still can't believe it all happened and are just so grateful and count our blessings. We definitely had guardian angels watching out for us. The boys went to school and told everyone there version of the story today and were pretty excited about it. Smashed cars to them is just the coolest and they got to be a part of it. If they only knew.
12 years ago


4 comments:
wow! I am just glad everyone is ok! I am so sorry that happened to you guys! This weather is out of control!
Oh my gosh! What an awful experience!!! How are you guys feeling now? I hope still okay. Let me know if you need anything!
I am SO glad you were all okay. Lucky that the kids were all still seat belted before the second hit!There isn't anything worse than being in an accident...oh wait, there is...being in a second accident right after! I am really glad you were all safe!
Holy crap! I'm glad you guys are ok. That is so crazy. So glad all is well!
Post a Comment