CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Seattle Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon


Last Saturday was the big day we'd been training for for the last 6 months. Marnie came to my house straight from girls camp on Fri. She took a shower and we left right away. We headed to Seattle and checked in to our hotel and met up with Marnie's friend Terry who's been training with Marnie the last 6 months also. We went to the Expo at the Qwest Expo Center downtown to pick up our packets that had our numbers and t-shirts and goodie bag. It was fun to shop around. We all bought a fanny pack that fits under your shirt but carries what you need when you're out running or bike riding. I wore mine for the race and even carried my camera a long the way.  There were lots of fun t-shirts to read like -
Does this t-shirt make my butt look faster?
Who moved the finish line?
13.1 Been there, Run that
You don't have to go Fast You just have to Go
and lots more, I just can't remember right now, but you get the idea.


After the Expo we headed back and ate dinner at the Hotel. Eating some pasta for carbs for added energy for the upcoming race. Then went to bed, we had an early morning coming fast. We set our phone alarms for 3:50. Yikes! Yes I know EARLY!! We met Terry in the lobby at 4:45 am and headed for the shuttle, which just happened to be on the next block. Thankful for the adrenaline, we weren't tired, just excited. The shuttles ran from 4-6am and we were trying to beat the rush and it worked. Got right on the bus with no waiting, and we were off.


All bright eyed and bushy tailed!!



They had water, Cytomax (like gatorade), bananas and bagels for us before the race.
See the porta potties in the background? They were lined up around the block. Right before it started the lines were crazy long. Whether it was the nerves or the cytomax we drank, we each went 3 times before the race started just making sure our bladders were empty before we got started.


This is the tracker they used to track our times during the race. There's an electronic chip inside it.


My number.



We were put in Corral #32. It's based on what you put on your sign up sheet for your estimated time in finishing the race and we put 3 hours. There were 39 total corrals.

It was a little chillie so I'm glad I brought pants and sweatshirt to stay warm until the race started. My pants I put in a bag that was put in a UPS truck and taken to the finish line along with other things I wanted for the when the race was over, but my jacket I still wanted at first, but as soon as I got warmed up I threw it on the side of the road and now it's gone forever. Marnie had told me how people do this so that's what I planned on. All the clothes that people leave behind get donated.


Marnie wrote on her arm the times she wanted to be at for each mile. A 14 min/mile. This is one of her traditions.



There it is, the starting line!!! The race started at 7:00, but we didn't get there until 7:52. Each Corral started every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes apart.
There were 28,000 people total there. 17,500 of which were doing the 1/2 marathon. Can you say massive?



Along the race there were bands playing on the side of the road. This was the first one right before the 1st mile marker.



A Rock n Roll guy at the end of mile 1.

We started in Tukwila and ran through some neighborhoods, then ran next to Lake Washington which was beautiful, wish I would have taken pictures of it. Then at mile 10 we got on the highway and went through a tunnel, which was actually pretty cool. There was a band in the tunnel and it just echoed through the whole thing. Knowing we were getting close to the end too was pretty exciting. Marnie, Terry and I got separated because we all had to go to the bathroom at different times through out and never caught back up to eachother. At that point I had no idea where they were, but I was wishing we were together. Around mile 9 or 10 my feet sure started to hurt, they were cramping and I thought I could feel blisters forming on the balls of my feet right behind my big toes. And my right knee started hurting. I was so hoping it wasn't going to happen, but it did. The last couple weeks of training the cramping and knee pain would come and go. And up to this point I had jogged the whole time which was around  2 hours straight, but because of the pain I had to start walking hoping the pain would go away, but it didn't. Proud of myself though for going that long w/o walking and if it weren't for the pain I know I would've been able to go the whole way having jogged the whole time. So the last couple miles I walked and jogged really looking forward to finishing and being done.


Mile 11 - the home stretch. I tried so hard to start jogging again and wanting to jog the rest of the way. Qwest Field is on the right where the Finish line was. At first you think you're going straight there, but nope the course took us a round about way to get there. The t-shirt that said "Who moved the finish line" sure felt more real than ever. You keep thinking it's right around the corner and it's not, just a little further I kept telling myself.  At the last mile or so I was walking and Marnie passed me. I was so glad to see her. She didn't see me or hear me yell at her with her ipod in, so I caught her and we walked and jogged together to the finish. I wish I would have been more excited, but I think I was in to much pain and I just wanted it to end. Honestly. Just being honest. I felt more adrenaline at the 10K we did a month ago. Marnie kicked it into gear at the end and started running faster. I was right behind her and then she reached back for me and pulled me along so we finished together hand in hand. Yeah we did it! It felt so good to be done.


Now don't get me in trouble for stealing these pictures. We are going to buy them, but I couldn't blog without them. It wouldn't have felt complete and I didn't want to wait. I didn't take any pictures at the end, so I needed these to show how we finished.


Sisters finishing together. I love it. I can't stop looking at them. Everyday I keep going to the website where these are and look at them over and over. I still can't believe I did this, but I'm so glad I did and can't wait to do it again. That reminds me of another t-shirt that said" I know, I know, I said I'd never do this again". It's so true. Even though I was in a lot of pain I want to go and do it all over. Maybe hoping I'll do better and not be in any pain next time.


Right after you cross the finish line, they give you water and your medal and you pose for the picture. They had more Cytomax, bananas and granola bars, which I love, so I ate one right away and drank a lot. Oh it felt good to be done. You just want to lay down and rest, but it's more important to keep walking and stretch out. We found Terry who finished a few minutes before us. She had her mom, sisters and niece there at the finish line waiting. So cool. I think that was one thing we were missing. Next time I want someone there at the end waiting for me. But we had eachother, I was glad for that.

As soon as the race was over the sun miraculously came out. It couldn't have been any more perfect. It stayed cloudy and cool just for us, then warmed up just when we needed it too. Your body sure does cool down fast when you stop. They gave out solar blankets for everyone to help them warm up. Marnie and I walked back to our hotel with them wrapped around us looking a little like homeless people and we got a few weird looks from people passing on the street.

Our mom and her best friend Joyce met us at Southcenter Mall after we made it back to our car at the hotel.  I hadn't seen Joyce since my wedding. It was fun to see her again. We all went to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory to celebrate. A perfect way to end the race. Knowing we burned hundreds of calories, we could eat anything we wanted, haha. We actually saw lots of other people there that were in the race too.



So fun. I'm so glad Marnie talked me into doing this with her. Just wish we could have stayed together the whole time to enjoy the whole thing together. Now we're out to convince the rest of our family to all do it together next year. I'm hoping to convince Jeremy also. He was my running partner the last few weeks before this. So we'll see. Here's to hoping.

And btw no blisters or chafing. Woohoo. And I was only sore for 1 day after. By the 2nd day after I was totally fine, not sore at all.

♥Thanks Marnie, Love ya and glad we get to share this experience together.♥

6 comments:

Courtney

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing. I could feel your emotions throughout your journey. The pictures at the end are the best. A great feeling of accomplishment. So proud of both of you.

Staci Rocha

the last mile for me was the most painful too, your legs want to stop moving, i only trained up to 12 miles and next time i am training up to 13 miles so i can finish strong.

That is so neat you and Marnie did the race together and what a great photo of you both crossing the finish line. Hooray!!!!

I would love to plan on doing the race next year on my birthday :) that would be awesome!!

MaKey and Poppa

I wanna do the race with you too! My boot cast comes off July 14 & then the right foot will be done in October...it all depends how how the feet mend! But I can tell you for sure I will be at the FINISH LINE for you ALL For Sure!!!! The 28,000 in the race & watching you on the news channel I thought for sure I couldn't get to the finish line cause so many roads were blocked off for the Marathon & I couldn't walk very far with this foot boot...I am so proud of My Girls! You DID It & You Are Going To Do It Again! You make me cry & I am so proud! LOVE YOU BOTH!!! Love You ALL for Challenging Yourselves & Making Healthy Choices!

Lindsay and Mike

YOU.ARE.AWESOME!!!

Jennifer

Way to go girls!!! I'm proud of you too. I need to learn how to train for something like that. Maybe we could do a training program via our blogspots so that it is like we are training together. All of my friends think I'm crazy for even considering something like that. And to accomplish it, you've got to have a partner to train with. If I start soon, maybe I could be ready for next year. Staci, what are you thinking, wanting to do that on your bday:)

Terri Wynder

Alysa, your blog is awesome! You really captured the whole experience. I'm so glad you had your camera since I didn't take mine. What stands out to me was the tunnel. Wow, talk about surreal. I thought, "This is what weird dreams are made of." There is a picture of the tunnel on the RNR Seattle facebook page that brings all the sounds, smells, sights back to me. Check it out. I'm glad you recovered quickly--so did I! It's amazing how just 2 days afterward you are back to normal and ready for the next training run. I'm so proud of you for running for 2 hours! I think I probably ran about 60% of the time, trying to catch up to you guys after my early potty break. But I took more walking breaks than you did. Marnie and I are going to try to run a 5K straight on Saturday morning--wish you were with us. You should come over a couple times before Leavenworth and we can train on the actual route. The hills were worse in Seattle than Leavenworth. Anyway, thanks for letting me share the RNR with you and Marnie. We're Running Sisters now. And, Yes, that t-shirt does make your butt look fast!!! Love ya, Terri