CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to School

Today came with mixed emotions. This was the longest summer ever for us so we were ready for school to start and back to being on a schedule. But it was new everything for the kids. New school, new teachers, riding the bus for the first time, new town, new friends. For me I think I was more nervous for them than they were, of course. They were just anxious and excited. George goes to a different school than the other 2. His school is 3rd-5th. and Mason's and Maryjane's is K-2nd. So George's bus comes at 8:05 and his school starts at 8:50. The same bus comes back and then picks up the younger kids for the other school at 8:35 and their school starts at 9:00. We went to their schools open house last week and met the teachers (who were all great) and the kids got to know where their classrooms were. It made me feel a lot better knowing that when they got there off the bus they knew where to go. I kept asking them where their classrooms were and to go straight to their rooms when they got there. I'm just so used to taking them and making sure they're in the right place. But they're big kids now, I know, sometimes it's just so hard to let go and let them grow up and do things for themselves. And Mason was my helper, he took MJ to class first and then went to his own. He said when they got there he waited and made sure she went "all the way in the classroom" before he went to his. I'm so glad they have each other. They sat next to each other on the bus both ways. Too sweet. And well George is glad to be on his own and not having his little brother and sister bother him.















So off to school they all went. All day now. I thought I was ready for this day and I've been waiting for it to come for many years now. But now that it's here, man I have such mixed emotions. I've come to realize I don't really like being by myself. I like having company but I don't like all the fighting or whining either so I'm glad they have somewhere to go and learn and play. And 7 hours sure does go by quick. I'm glad I have our dog to keep me company instead. He sleeps all day anyway, but I can talk to him and love him and he doesn't fight or whine. So it is a nice break. I just need to find things to do. I started sewing again now that I finally unpacked my machine. And I have a couple projects I'm working on. Time will tell. Last year I only lasted a month and a half before I got bored enough and worked part time at their school. So we'll see.


My sister called right after they left and had to ask how I was doing with them all gone and I broke down crying, while she laughed at me. (which I totally understand 'cause usually I'm the one laughing) I've never cried when any of them have gone to school. I've always been so excited. I'm not one to cry and be sentimental. That's for my other sister. But this is a new chapter of my life and I've got to figure out what I want to accomplish for myself. And with all the "new" stuff for them I was a little nervous and wanted them to be ok and make sure they figured out everything ok since I couldn't be there. I think that was the hardest part. Sending them into a new and unfamiliar place while I sat and wondered all day if they were ok and how they were doing. But now that they are home, they had a great time. They figured it all out, of course, even without me. I don't need to worry anymore. Hopefully tomorrow will be less emotional and I'm sure it will be.


Oh the joys of life and the things we go through emotionally when we have kids. Ya gotta love it.

6 comments:

Staci Rocha

George - You are so Handsome!

Mason - You are so kind to be a protective big brother for MJ! and your a handsome little fellow too!

MJ - You are beautiful and growing up way to fast!!

Alysa- I'm glad you shed some tears for the first time saying good bye to your kids :)

Good news to read that the first day was a success!

Lindsay and Mike

Wow! I can't believe that all your kids are in school all day long! When I met you, MJ wasn't even one-year-old yet. Crazy how time flies! Glad you are all doing well and that the kids had a good first day!

Jennifer

No tears here yet!! I sent Jenson off the preschool today from 8-11. John asked me what I was going to do and I told him by the time I get breakfast dishes done, laundry started, my exercise done and a shower it will be time to go pick him up. Sure enough, just like clock work. I'm sure when they are all in school all day, it will be different. Still I need to find some things that are fun and that I'd like to accomplish while he's gone. HMMM???? Hang it there! It's good to see that you can be a little sentimental too!!

Jennifer

I didn't mean to say "hang it there" I meant to say "hang IN there!"

Paul/Heather

How exciting!!!

Alisa Ottesen

I love the pictures of your neighborhood.